Monday, October 3, 2011

September 6, 1846, in the desert.

from Tamsen Donner: a woman's journey


Go light go light I must walk lightly

as I moved from one life to another
more and more followed me:
gowns books furniture
paints notebooks

now the seven of us - even the little girls -
must have substance
to carry into the new country

we are transporting a houseful:
barrels of flour stuffed with porcelain
pots tin plates silver service quilts
salt meat rice sugar dried fruit
coffee tea
                the wagon sags
and the oxen falter
                                   one wagon founders

what shall I let go? books:
                                          the least
needed for survival: in the cold
desert night
                  George lifts my heavy
crate of Shakespeare, Emerson, Gray's
Botany, spellers and readers for my school

and hides it all in a hill of salt
while the children sleep parched
and the cows and oxen stand mourning:
I put aside my desk with the inlaid pearl
our great fourposter with the pineapple posts
my love my study

what else can I part with?
I will keep one sketchbook one journal
to see me to the end of the journey

go light
go light
I must walk lightly

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
by Ruth Whitman