Monday, March 4, 2013

from The Testing-Tree

                                     1

On my way home from school
      up tribal Providence Hill
            past the Academy ballpark
where I could never hope to play
      I scuffed in the drainage ditch
            among the sodden seethe of leaves
hunting for perfect stones
      rolled out of glacial time
            in my pitcher's hand;
then sprinted lickety-
      split on my magic Keds
            from a crouching start,
scarcely touching the ground
      with my flying skin
            as I poured it on
for the prize of the mastery
      over that stretch of road,
            with no one no where to deny
when I flung myself down
      that on the given course
            I was the world's fastest human.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
by Stanley Kunitz, 1971